Match Report: PNE 2-1 Huddersfield Town

PNE came from behind, completing a dramatic late comeback with a 2-1 win against Huddersfield Town at Deepdale.

Despite the result, both teams stay where they are in the table with PNE in 14th whilst Huddersfield are seven points clear of the relegation zone in 17th.

Nahki Wells opened the scoring after he controlled a chipped ball to fire past the on-rushing Anders Lindegaard.

There was a huge slice of luck with the way Preston equalized just minutes later, Paul Gallagher’s shot taking a massive deflection off Joel Lynch.

With the match heading for a draw, Calum Woods’ cross was turned in by Alan Browne to snatch all three points.

Simon Grayson made three changes to his side that drew to Derby County with Browne, Callum Robinson and Jordan Hugill coming in for Paul Huntington, Ben Pearson and Daniel Johnson.

Town also made some changes with Philip Billing, Jim Husband, Tommy Smith and former UCLan student Joe Lolley coming in for Jason Davidson, Karim Matmour, Emyr Huws and Kyle Dempsey.

The visitors started the game well and went close to scoring in the first half when Wells played Harry Bunn through on goal but his shot was blocked by the legs of Lindegaard.

On the half-hour mark, Lynch fired a shot from outside the box that struck the crossbar and bounced over.

At the other end, Hugill went close to giving North End the lead, his guided effort being met by an excellent save from Huddersfield goalkeeper Jed Steer.

The first half was largely dominated by the Terriers who had the vast majority of possession and continued their intensity in the second half.

Just a few minutes after the restart, Wells broke through the North End defence but his shot on goal was saved by the legs of Lindegaard.

Another chance went begging for the home side as Browne and Joe Garner both went to attack Gallagher’s cross but neither could head the ball on target.

69 minutes played, Steer denied substitute Daniel Johnson’s shot from inside the box after some good work down the right between Browne and Adam Reach.

Huddersfield spurned another chance when Smith shot across goal after receiving a pass from Wells.

Wells scored the first goal of the game with just ten minutes of normal time remaining, slotting past Lindegaard from close range.

The Terriers were ahead for just four minutes, Lynch diverting Gallagher’s shot into the back of his own net.

With a draw looking a distinct possibility, there was Browne in the second minute of injury time to direct Woods’ cross past Steer and clinch victory from the jaws of defeat.

PNE fans were given a late scare after a Huddersfield corner was eventually blocked superbly on the line by Lindegaard.

Simon Grayson told PNE PlayerHD: “We have an attitude that we don’t want to settle for anything other than winning a football match and we sent bodies forward.

“Huddersfield caused us problems and ultimately scored, but we kept going and got a result that we maybe didn’t deserve today, but we have earned across the season.”

PNE: Lindegaard, Woods, Cunningham, Browne, Clarke, Wright, Reach (Doyle, 88), Gallagher, Garner, Hugill (Johnson, 58), Robinson (Welsh, 58). Subs not used: Kirkland, Vermijl, Kilkenny, Huntington.

Huddersfield Town: Steer, Smith, Hogg, Paterson (Boyle, 90), Cranie, Husband, Bunn (Manu, 78), Lolley (Matmour, 67), Wells, Billing, Lynch. Subs not used: Murphy, Davidson, Whitehead, Dempsey, Boyle.

Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire)

Attendance: 12,653 (2,245 Huddersfield Town)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s