Match Report: Everton 2-3 Bristol City

Everton suffered a blow in the race for promotion with a 3-2 loss to rivals Bristol City in the final home game of the season.

Goals in the first half from Claire Emslie and Claudia Walker meant that the two sides headed into half-time level.

However, Farrow and Emslie netted early in the second half to give Bristol a commanding lead before Dan Turner’s late consolation goal.

After a tense start to the game by both sides, the first chance to fell to Vicky Jones who shot just over the crossbar from the edge of the box.

Shortly after in the 22nd minute, Rosella Ayane came close to scoring when she cut inside and forced Caitlin Leach into a great low save.

However, disaster struck just before the half-hour mark when Claire Emslie put the visitors ahead with a curling effort from outside the area.

The goal didn’t deter Andy Spence’s side and it didn’t take them long to level the scoreline.

Everton were awarded a penalty due to shirt pulling at a corner and Walker stepped up to equalise for the Blue Girls.

The England U-19 international came close to adding a second goal in the 38th minute when she beat several players on the left hand side of the pitch and took a shot but her effort was just off-target.

At the other end of the pitch, Vicky Jones’ heroic header off the line denied the visitors a lead heading into half-time after Kirstie Levell was beaten.

The Toffees started the second half well but found themselves behind in the game for the second time in the match when Farrow ran through on goal and scored.

Just before the hour mark, Levell pulled off a great save to deny Eloise Wilson from close range after she found space in the box.

The goalkeeper was alert again just moments later when Wilson broke through clear on goal but Levell was off her line swiftly to deny the Bristol City forward.

Michelle Hinnigan was just inches away from levelling the game with a header from Dan Turner’s cross.

The visitors extended their lead in the 68th minute.

Emslie got her second goal of the night after a driving run she curled in a great shot into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Turner pulled a goal back for Everton from close range in the 84th minute to reduce the deficit.

The Blue Girls pressed for a late equaliser and won a late penalty for a high foot.

Walker stepped up to take it but this time Leach was able to dive the right way and save the penalty to deny Everton a late equaliser.

Everton’s next game is their last one of the season as they travel to play London Bees on the 6th of November.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s