Match Report: Vokes Scores Late Winner Off The Bench

Super-sub Sam Vokes scored a late winner to give Burnley a 1-0 win against Leicester City at Turf Moor.

It was an end-to-end start to the game with both sides having chances in the first 10 minutes.

Riyad Mahrez had a shot blocked from Christian Fuchs’ cross which was cleared only for Leicester to put the ball into the area again and Robert Huth’s shot was smothered by a Burnley defender.

At the other end of the pitch, Andre Gray headed the ball into the path of Ashley Barnes whose shot flashed across the face of the goal.

In the 20th minute, Gray latched onto loose ball in the final third and fired a shot into the side netting of Kasper Schmeichel’s goal.

Shortly after the half hour mark, Steven Defour was replaced by Scott Arfield with the Belgian midfielder picking up an injury.

Joey Barton, who was starting his first Premier League match since re-joining the Clarets at the start of the month, came close to breaking the deadlock just before half-time with a volley but Wilfred Ndidi managed to head it just over the goal.

Moments after the interval, a clearance fell to Barton from outside the area and the midfielder lashed a half volley just wide of the goal.

Burnley had another chance when Barnes headed down a lofted ball into the path of Gray who raced through on goal and had an effort saved by Schmeichel.

The away side came agonisingly close to scoring when Mahrez beat several defenders on a counter attack and Tom Heaton spilt his shot into the path of Jamie Vardy who couldn’t control the ball from six yards out.

The home side continued to apply pressure with Gray and Michael Keane both having shots blocked in quick succession from a corner that the Premier League holders struggled to clear.

A few minutes later, Ben Mee headed onto the roof of the net from another corner for Sean Dyche’s side.

In the 78th minute, Gray forced Schmeichel into a low save with the Danish goalkeeper only able to tip the ball back into the danger zone but, thankfully for him the ball fell to a Leicester player who was able to clear.

Just moments after coming off the substitutes bench, Vokes poked an effort over the bar after a slick combination with Gray.

The Welsh striker was the man to break the deadlock in the 87th minute, Keane headed down Scott Arfield’s corner into the path of the 27-year-old who stabbed home.

The win extends Burnley’s unbeaten run at home to seven matches and puts them up to 9th in the Premier League standings.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s