Match Report: Burnley 0-2 Tottenham

Burnley were beaten by Tottenham as second-half goals from Eric Dier and Heung-Min Son gave the visitors a 2-0 win at Turf Moor.

After an uneventful first half, Spurs were much improved after the interval and broke the deadlock through Dier’s powerful shot from a corner that wasn’t cleared effectively.

Son came off the bench to double the lead from close range to secure the win for his side as they closed the gap on table-topping Chelsea to just seven points.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side as Matt Lowton’s cross found Ashley Barnes who headed the ball into the palms of Hugo Lloris.

At the other end, Christian Eriksen touched a 35-yard free-kick to Toby Alderweireld and the defender stung the palms of Tom Heaton.

Spurs came close again around the half-hour when Eriksen jinked past several defenders and unleashed a shot from a tight angle that Heaton parried away into the path of Dele Alli who smashed the rebound over the crossbar.

Before the interval, Mauricio Pochettino had to make two forced changes as Victor Wanyama and Harry Winks were unable to continue through injury with Moussa Dembele and Moussa Sissoko coming on to replace the midfield duo.

Just moments into the second half, the away side won a free-kick in a dangerous area after Michael Keane pulled back Vincent Janssen but Eriksen couldn’t beat the wall.

Tottenham maintained the pressure and came close through to breaking the deadlock through Vincent Janssen who had a low shot saved by Heaton before the Burnley captain denied Moussa Sissoko from pouncing on the rebound.

The England keeper was forced into action again to deny Ben Davies’ stinging effort.

On the hour mark, Eriksen had a speculative shot from 35 yards but the Dane’s shot bounced harmlessly into the arms of Heaton.

In the 66th minute, the deadlock was finally broken.

Jeff Hendrick sliced a clearance from Eriksen’s corner as far as Dier who controlled the ball inside the box and smashed it into the top corner past the helpless Heaton.

The visitors weren’t content with a one-goal lead and came close again when Eriksen fed the ball to Son who brushed the side-netting with a shot from a tight angle.

The winning margin was doubled in their next attack through the South Korean winger who scored from Alli’s ball across the face of goal.

The England midfielder nearly had a goal for himself five minutes after providing the assist when he had a curling effort that floated just wide of the post.

Alli came close again in the dying embers of the game as he pulled a shot wide from close range.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s